Survival Skills and Equipment
A classroom is offered at each academy weekend, that covers all of the material for Survival Skills and Equipment. See the academy page for more information on schedule and registration. be prepared for the practical evaluation when you arrive.
We have compiled a carefully curated list of videos and animations, that cover all of the topics we cover in our Academy classroom. These videos will take you approximately 2-hours to fully watch (not including the optional content), which is about the same length of time we take to cover the same topics using an overhead presentation.
The written assessment can be taken at anytime online.
The practical evaluation is offered at each academy weekend, both as a culmination of the classroom, as well as a stand alone, drop in, time slot. Be certain to bring your 24-hour pack. You'll be asked to complete the following tasks.
- Light a supplied cotton ball on fire using two different methods from your pack.
- Show from their pack a method of providing warm fluids.
- Discuss sources of dry tinder, kindling, and fire wood.
- Pitch a tarp you carry in your pack, in a fashion sustainable for 12 to 15 hours.
- Discuss methods and materials for creating an emergency shelter from natural surroundings
- Show three of the ten essentials — chosen by us — from your pack.
- Show from your pack three emergency signaling methods, one of which is appropriate for air craft.
- Demonstrate three of the listed knots and hitches.
- Water Knot
- Figure 8
- Figure 8 on a Bight
- Figure 8 Follow-through
- Double Fisherman's
- Three-wrap Prusik hitch
- Munter Hitch